Tuesday, May 19, 2026
MagnifyPost.com
  • Home
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Science & Technology
  • Sport
  • Economy
No Result
View All Result
MagnifyPost.com
Home Politics

US says held talks with Cuba on $100 mln offer

by Emma R.
2 hours ago
in Politics
Reading Time: 4 mins read
A A
10
37
SHARES
72
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on XShare on Linkedin

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, a sworn foe of Havana's communist government, has publicly offered the $100 million but has demanded that Cuba take steps to open up / ©AFP

(AFP) – The United States and Cuba held talks this week on a US offer of $100 million in assistance, which Washington has dangled as an incentive for reforms, a US official said Tuesday. Mike Hammer, the acting US ambassador to Havana, met Monday with foreign ministry officials, the State Department official said on condition of anonymity.

“We have been in close coordination with the Cubans. We had a meeting yesterday (Monday) and continue to pursue that proposal aggressively, contrary to some of the lies of the Cuban ministry of foreign affairs,” the official said. “We continue to urge the regime to accept the proposal and try to prevent interference with the delivery of assistance,” he said.

The aid would be distributed through Catholic Relief Services and Samaritan’s Purse, an evangelical Protestant charity, and not handed over directly to the Cuban government, he said. “The Cuban regime is sitting on several billions of dollars,” he said. “We would urge them to use that money to actually help the Cuban people invest in their infrastructure instead of hoarding it.”

Secretary of State Marco Rubio, a sworn foe of Havana’s communist government, has publicly offered the $100 million but has demanded that Cuba take steps to open up. Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez last week said that Havana was open to reviewing the aid proposal, after earlier saying Rubio was lying about the offer.

Cuba has been in the throes of a major economic crisis with persistent energy blackouts after the United States overthrew Venezuela’s leftist leader Nicolas Maduro and ended the flow of free oil from Caracas in exchange for Cuban medical expertise and other services. With the situation increasingly dire, Cuba — for decades targeted in US espionage — last week took the extraordinary step of welcoming CIA Director John Ratcliffe for talks.

© 2024 AFP

Tags: assistanceCubaForeign Policy
Share15Tweet9Share3Send
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
10 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Follow us

Recent News

Republican who stood up to Trump defeated in Kentucky primary

May 19, 2026

New York art auctions roar back with blockbuster sales

May 19, 2026

Shock and bafflement at San Diego mosque where three were killed

May 19, 2026
MagnifyPost.com

We bring you the top international news & headlines from around the world with live updates on breaking global events.

News

  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Science & Technology

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • EconomyLens.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com

© 2024 Top World News ~ MagnifyPost.com

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • General News
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Science & Technology

© 2023 - Premium news by MagnifyPost.

Coolinarco.com CasualSelf.com

wpDiscuz