Sunday, May 24, 2026
MagnifyPost.com
  • Home
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Science & Technology
  • Sport
  • Economy
No Result
View All Result
MagnifyPost.com
Home Politics

Rubio accuses Hezbollah of trying to ‘drag Lebanon back into chaos’

by Emma R.
1 hour ago
in Politics
Reading Time: 4 mins read
A A
0
22
SHARES
43
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on XShare on Linkedin

Rubio's comments, delivered via a statement, came as the top US diplomat was on a visit to India / ©AFP

(AFP) – US Secretary of State Marco Rubio accused Hezbollah in a statement Sunday of trying to plunge Lebanon “back into chaos.” Rubio denounced what he called Hezbollah’s “reckless call to overthrow Lebanon’s democratically elected government” and said the pro-Iran armed group was “actively trying to drag Lebanon back into chaos and destruction.”

Naim Qassem, the leader of Hezbollah, said earlier that “the people have the right to go down onto the streets and to bring down the government” in response to Israeli strikes and US sanctions on the Al-Qard Al-Hassan financial institution. Al-Qard Al-Hassan is affiliated with Hezbollah and provides interest-free loans to mainly Shia Muslim communities who have faced financial difficulty amid Lebanon’s economic crises. “The aggression against Al-Qard al-Hassan is an aggression against hundreds of thousands of poor people and those with limited income,” Qassem said.

The Lebanese government has been under US pressure to take action against the firm, as Washington ratchets up pressure on Iran-backed Hezbollah. “Hizballah’s threats of violence and overthrow will not be allowed to succeed,” Rubio said. “The era in which a terrorist group held an entire nation hostage is coming to an end.”

The US is negotiating a deal with Iran to end the Middle East war, with a report in Axios suggesting that a draft memorandum of understanding between two sides contains language that “makes clear the war between Israel and Hezbollah in Lebanon would end.” Early on Sunday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on X that Trump, in a phone call, “reaffirmed Israel’s right to defend itself against threats on every front, including Lebanon.”

Qassem expressed hope for an agreement between Iran and the US and that Lebanon would be part of its terms. However, he again called on the Lebanese government to abandon direct negotiations with Israel. A fourth round of talks is scheduled for June 2 and 3 in Washington.

Despite a ceasefire that came into effect on April 17 and was recently extended for several weeks, Israel continues to strike what it describes as pro-Iranian Hezbollah targets in Lebanon, while Hezbollah for its part continues its attacks on Israeli targets in the south of the country.

© 2024 AFP

Tags: HezbollahLebanonus foreign policy
Share9Tweet6Share2Send
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Follow us

Recent News

Crack found in California toxic chemical tank could relieve pressure

May 24, 2026

Temperature rising in chemical tank at risk of exploding in California

May 24, 2026

Rubio accuses Hezbollah of trying to ‘drag Lebanon back into chaos’

May 24, 2026
MagnifyPost.com

We bring you the top international news & headlines from around the world with live updates on breaking global events.

News

  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Science & Technology

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • EconomyLens.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com

© 2024 Top World News ~ MagnifyPost.com

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • General News
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Science & Technology

© 2023 - Premium news by MagnifyPost.

Coolinarco.com CasualSelf.com

wpDiscuz