Wednesday, August 19, 2026
MagnifyPost.com
  • Home
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Science & Technology
  • Sport
  • Economy
No Result
View All Result
MagnifyPost.com
Home Politics

ICC says US sanctions ‘flagrant attack’ on court independence

by David P.
5 hours ago
in Politics
Reading Time: 8 mins read
A A
12
45
SHARES
89
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on XShare on Linkedin

Japanese judge Tomoko Akane, president of the International Criminal Court, was one of two top ICC officials targeted in the latest US sanctions against the Hague-based court / ©AFP

(AFP) – The International Criminal Court on Wednesday lashed out at the United States after Washington slapped sanctions on ICC President Tomoko Akane, calling it a “flagrant attack” on the court’s independence. The US sanctioned Akane of Japan and trial lawyer Abdoulaye Seye of Senegal on Tuesday, as part of Washington’s campaign against what it calls a “corrupt and fatally politicised” body.

The EU’s top officials immediately threw their support behind Akane, saying they “stand firmly” with the ICC president and her top officials. In twin statements on X, European Commission chief Ursula von der Leyen and European Council head Antonio Costa stated that the court “must be able to act independently and without external pressure.” Germany echoed the stance, with its foreign ministry calling the court’s independence “of central importance”; while the Netherlands, which hosts the court at The Hague, also voiced its disapproval.

The court said in a statement: “These sanctions are a flagrant attack against the independence of an impartial judicial institution.” “Such measures targeting judges, prosecutors and staff… undermine the rule of law,” it added. Washington’s latest move follows sanctions it imposed on several ICC officials, seen as largely in response to the court’s investigations involving Israel, a US ally.

Japan also objected to the sanctions, saying the country has “consistently supported the ICC… in its efforts to prosecute and punish the most serious crimes of concern to the international community and to uphold the rule of law.” The measures are “very unfortunate,” foreign ministry press secretary Toshihiro Kitamura said in a statement. Japan is the biggest funder of the ICC and a close US ally, which is not a party to the international treaty that established the court.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio earlier stated, without providing examples, that the sanctioned “individuals have directly engaged in efforts by the ICC to investigate, arrest, detain, or prosecute officials whose government has not consented to ICC jurisdiction.” Established in 2002, the ICC prosecutes individuals accused of the gravest atrocities and acts as a last resort when countries do not have adequate legal systems to ensure accountability.

President Donald Trump’s administration has already imposed sanctions against officials of the ICC, which issued in 2024 an arrest warrant for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu over the war in Gaza. The measures bar them from entering the US and from carrying out transactions in the US financial system. In an X post Tuesday, Netanyahu applauded the US sanctions and called the ICC “a kangaroo court that cloaks its abuse of power in the language of international law.”

Last month, Washington launched a major diplomatic offensive against the ICC, accusing it of “threatening” Americans and calling on partners to withdraw from the body — a move already announced by Chad and Venezuela, which has aligned with the United States since the capture and ouster of leader Nicolas Maduro. The ICC expressed concern over those withdrawals, asserting that such countries risked undermining the collective pursuit of justice.

The US signed the Rome Statute establishing the ICC but never ratified the treaty. Israel, Russia, and China are not ICC members either. “The Trump Administration has been clear: the International Criminal Court is a corrupt and fatally politicised supranational court that has maliciously abused its authority and exceeded its mandate. We will not tolerate its assault on state sovereignty,” Rubio’s statement said.

Last week, four human rights groups sued Trump in a New York court over his sanctions targeting the ICC, saying the measures block victims of war crimes from pursuing justice. In 2023, the ICC issued an arrest warrant for Russian President Vladimir Putin over the war in Ukraine, prompting Moscow to issue its own arrest warrants for senior court officials. These included Akane, 70, an ICC judge since 2018 who was elected as the court’s president in March 2024.

“Even if one judge were to die, we are easily replaceable, so there is really no value in targeting us,” she said after the Russian announcement.

bur-kh-stu-aph/nf/db/st

© 2024 AFP

Tags: Human Rightsinternational criminal courtSanctions
Share18Tweet11Share3Send
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
12 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted

Follow us

Recent News

Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties

August 19, 2026

UN laments ‘unacceptable’ toll of 350 aid workers killed in 2025

August 19, 2026

ICC says US sanctions ‘flagrant attack’ on court independence

August 19, 2026
MagnifyPost.com

We bring you the top international news & headlines from around the world with live updates on breaking global events.

News

  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Science & Technology

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • EconomyLens.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
Your Privacy Choices

© 2026 Top World News ~ MagnifyPost.com

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • General News
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Science & Technology

© 2023 - Premium news by MagnifyPost.

Coolinarco.com CasualSelf.com

wpDiscuz