Friday, August 21, 2026
MagnifyPost.com
  • Home
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Science & Technology
  • Sport
  • Economy
No Result
View All Result
MagnifyPost.com
Home General News

Scaled-back US-South Korea drills end: Seoul

by Andrew M.
7 hours ago
in General News
Reading Time: 4 mins read
A A
21
41
SHARES
81
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on XShare on Linkedin

South Korean soldiers take part in an anti-terror drill on the sidelines of joint military exercises with US forces. ©AFP

Seoul (AFP) – Annual war games between South Korea and the United States ended on Friday, Seoul’s military told AFP, days earlier than initially planned after US President Donald Trump had abruptly ordered them curtailed. Trump said this week that the drills, which are designed to prepare for a possible attack by North Korea, were “inappropriate and hostile” towards nuclear-armed Pyongyang.

North Korea then fired around 10 short-range ballistic missiles on Thursday, while Kim Yo Jong, the leader’s powerful sister, mocked Seoul’s “master-servant” relationship with Washington. The joint drills “have ended” on Friday, a Seoul military official said. The exercises were originally scheduled to last until August 27. Nuclear-armed North Korea has long voiced outrage at the exercises, considering them dress rehearsals for an invasion.

The drills reportedly consist of two phases: the first, focused on defending against potential North Korean threats, was due to run until Friday. The second, focused on a counteroffensive, has been scrapped. The Pentagon has previously said the reduced drills would cause “no degradation to US training objectives”. The United States stations about 28,500 troops in South Korea to bolster the country’s defences, a legacy of the 1950-53 Korean War that ended with an armistice rather than a peace treaty.

Trump’s sudden focus on North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and his order to scale back the military drills have alarmed Asian allies, while sparking speculation that he was seeking a foreign policy win as the Iran war stalls. The US president also said recently that it was important to “get along” with Kim, adding that Pyongyang now had 57 “very powerful” nuclear weapons. Seoul says there are around 80-120.

South Korea’s Defence Minister Ahn Gyu-back said this week Seoul remained opposed to officially recognising the North as a nuclear-weapon state. Asked whether Washington had “given up” on North Korea’s denuclearisation, Ahn said he did not believe so. Kim Yo Jong said this week her brother Kim Jong Un had “good memories and feelings” about Trump and that the relationship between the two leaders remains “excellent”. The North Korea leader’s sister also dismissed the importance of the war games being reduced, calling the move “completely uninteresting”.

© 2024 AFP

Tags: Military CooperationNorth Koreaus foreign policy
Share16Tweet10Share3Send
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
21 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted

Follow us

Recent News

Trump announces temporary tariff relief on ground beef imports 

August 21, 2026

US, Canada try to wrap up trade deal before latest Trump deadline

August 21, 2026

US-sanctioned ICC head warns against ‘demise of international rule of law’

August 21, 2026
MagnifyPost.com

We bring you the top international news & headlines from around the world with live updates on breaking global events.

News

  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Science & Technology

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • EconomyLens.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
Your Privacy Choices

© 2026 Top World News ~ MagnifyPost.com

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • General News
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Science & Technology

© 2023 - Premium news by MagnifyPost.

Coolinarco.com CasualSelf.com

wpDiscuz