Wednesday, August 19, 2026
MagnifyPost.com
  • Home
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Science & Technology
  • Sport
  • Economy
No Result
View All Result
MagnifyPost.com
Home Politics

Disney, ABC sue US regulator over threat to broadcast licenses

by Andrew M.
17 hours ago
in Politics
Reading Time: 6 mins read
A A
15
390
SHARES
765
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on XShare on Linkedin

ABC is accusing the Federal Communications Commission of waging a retaliatory campaign against the Disney-owned network / ©AFP

(AFP) – Walt Disney-owned ABC sued the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) on Tuesday, accusing the US regulatory body of waging a retaliatory campaign against the television network on behalf of the Trump administration. The lawsuit, filed in a federal district court in Washington, comes after the FCC earlier this year asked ABC TV stations to renew their broadcast licenses earlier than scheduled.

“Acting through the Federal Communications Commission, the Administration has waged a retaliatory campaign against ABC for a single reason: it disapproves of what ABC broadcasts,” the suit says. “Over time, those attacks have escalated into express demands that ABC be stripped of its broadcast licenses because of its speech.”

President Donald Trump has personally lashed out at ABC—particularly the network’s late night host Jimmy Kimmel—on numerous occasions and suggested revoking the broadcast licenses of stations he claims are “almost 100% negative” towards him. The famously litigious Republican president has filed a number of defamation lawsuits against media outlets, including suing ABC over statements about a civil judgment in a sexual assault case. He took CBS to court for allegedly misleading viewers by airing different clips of the same answer from an interview with 2024 Democratic presidential candidate Kamala Harris. The cases involving ABC and CBS ended in December 2024 and July 2025 with the broadcasters promising to pay $15 million and $16 million, respectively. Other ongoing cases include a $10 billion lawsuit against the BBC over an allegedly misleading edit of one of his speeches and one against The Wall Street Journal over publication of a salacious birthday letter he allegedly sent to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

– ‘Government intimidation’ –

In its lawsuit filed on Tuesday, Disney and ABC said the Trump administration has “steadily increased the pressure on ABC, culminating in the present threat to the broadcasting licenses of the eight ABC Owned Stations.” The Commission has demanded a review of the Stations’ licenses extraordinarily early,” it says. “That timing underscores the Commission’s true purpose: coercing and retaliating against a network that refuses to bow to the Administration’s demands.”

“Facing this existential threat, Plaintiffs have no choice but to seek redress from the judicial branch for the Administration’s blatant retaliation for their First Amendment speech,” the suit says. ABC and Disney asked the court to issue a restraining order preventing the FCC from taking any action against the network’s broadcasting licenses, which were not up for renewal until 2028.

Anna Gomez, the sole commissioner on the FCC appointed by a Democratic president, welcomed the lawsuit as pushback against what she called “government intimidation.”

“For months, the FCC has waged a campaign of censorship and control against Disney’s ABC stations, using the threat of broadcast license revocations to punish a company for speech this administration doesn’t like,” Gomez said in a statement. “It is time this administration understands that the Constitution does not bend to political convenience, and that the First Amendment protects the news and commentary Americans see on their screens even when those in power wish it didn’t,” she added.

– Chris Lefkow

© 2024 AFP

Tags: CensorshipFirst AmendmentTrump Administration
Share156Tweet98Share27Send
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
15 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted

Follow us

Recent News

Tokyo opposes US sanctions on Japanese ICC chief Akane

August 19, 2026

Palestinian-American hoists US flag on home besieged by settlers

August 18, 2026

US, South Korea cut drills short after Trump criticism

August 19, 2026
MagnifyPost.com

We bring you the top international news & headlines from around the world with live updates on breaking global events.

News

  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Science & Technology

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • EconomyLens.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
Your Privacy Choices

© 2026 Top World News ~ MagnifyPost.com

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • General News
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Science & Technology

© 2023 - Premium news by MagnifyPost.

Coolinarco.com CasualSelf.com

wpDiscuz