Tuesday, August 18, 2026
MagnifyPost.com
  • Home
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Science & Technology
  • Sport
  • Economy
No Result
View All Result
MagnifyPost.com
Home General News

Mangione state murder trial postponed after federal guilty plea

by Emma R.
13 hours ago
in General News
Reading Time: 5 mins read
A A
28
93
SHARES
183
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on XShare on Linkedin

Mangione, 28, is accused of killing chief executive of UnitedHealthCare Brian Thompson, 50, in New York in December 2024, in protest of the US insurance system. ©AFP

New York (AFP) – The state murder trial of Luigi Mangione, who admitted to gunning down a US health insurance executive, will be postponed following his guilty plea in a federal case, according to a judge’s order filed Monday. His trial on charges of murdering UnitedHealthCare chief executive Brian Thompson was due to get underway next month, but that prospect was upended when he pleaded guilty in federal court Friday and his lawyers moved to have the state charges dismissed.

There will be a hearing in the state case at the beginning of December. In dramatic courtroom scenes, Mangione admitted Friday to killing the health insurance boss in a Manhattan street as he pleaded guilty to stalking charges before a federal judge. “On the morning of December 4, I shot Mr. Thompson in Manhattan and he died,” Mangione told a federal judge as he pleaded guilty to stalking his victim. He will be sentenced on December 18, and prosecutors said they would seek a life term.

He had been facing the stalking charges in the federal system, alongside murder charges in the New York state system, but Mangione’s lawyers called Friday for the state charges to be dropped to prevent him from being prosecuted twice for the same conduct. “We just filed our motion in state court, explaining why the state charges must be dismissed under New York’s double jeopardy protections,” said Mangione’s lawyer Karen Friedman Agnifilo on Friday after the guilty plea.

Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg has said he is “tirelessly preparing to pursue a trial conviction” in the state case, where Mangione is maintaining his not guilty plea. The stalking charges and the murder charges could both lead to life sentences. Two other federal charges that carried the death penalty were thrown out by a judge earlier this year.

The case has sharply divided public opinion, with conservatives led by US President Donald Trump calling for an example to be made of Mangione. Prosecutors on Friday said he deserved heavy punishment. “There can be no celebrity in assassination,” Jamie McDonald, the US attorney for the Southern District of New York, told reporters.

But ardent supporters of Mangione flocked to the Manhattan courthouse to show their support amid heavy security as a helicopter hovered overhead.

© 2024 AFP

Tags: CrimeMurderTrial
Share37Tweet23Share7Send
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
28 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted

Follow us

Recent News

ISS to host first spacewalk by Frenchwoman

August 18, 2026

Major Meta trial begins as lawyers spar over witnesses, damages

August 18, 2026

Asian allies stress ‘critical cooperation’ as Trump slashes Korea drills

August 18, 2026
MagnifyPost.com

We bring you the top international news & headlines from around the world with live updates on breaking global events.

News

  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Science & Technology

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • EconomyLens.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
Your Privacy Choices

© 2026 Top World News ~ MagnifyPost.com

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • General News
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Science & Technology

© 2023 - Premium news by MagnifyPost.

Coolinarco.com CasualSelf.com

wpDiscuz