Tuesday, May 19, 2026
MagnifyPost.com
  • Home
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Science & Technology
  • Sport
  • Economy
No Result
View All Result
MagnifyPost.com
Home Politics

US VP Vance says Poland troop deployment delayed, not canceled

by Anna M.
2 hours ago
in Politics
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
2
103
SHARES
202
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on XShare on Linkedin

Vice President JD Vance -- one of the administration's most vocal critics of Europe -- said President Donald Trump had been urging European allies to take more of the burden for their defense / ©AFP

(AFP) – US Vice President JD Vance said Tuesday that a deployment of 4,000 troops to Poland had been delayed rather than canceled, but said Europe had to stand on its “own two feet.” Last week US officials said that the deployment had been scrapped, the latest move by President Donald Trump’s administration to slash troop numbers stationed in European NATO allies.

Vance — one of the administration’s most vocal critics of Europe and a strong skeptic about US aid to Ukraine — said Trump had been urging European allies to take more of the burden for their defense since his first term. “We have got to have more sovereignty and more of Europe standing on its own two feet. That will continue to be our policy in Europe,” Vance told a briefing at the White House.

But when asked about the 4,000 troops and Poland, Vance replied: “It is a delay in troop rotation. Those troops could go elsewhere in Europe. We could decide to send them elsewhere. We actually haven’t made the final determination about where those troops are ultimately going to go.”

A senior US military officer told a congressional hearing last week that the head of US European Command had “received the instructions on the force reduction” in Poland, a key ally on NATO’s eastern flank with Russia. Trump has appeared determined to punish allies who have failed to back the Middle East war or contribute to a peacekeeping force in the crucial Strait of Hormuz waterway, which Iran has effectively closed.

The Pentagon announced at the beginning of May that Washington would pull 5,000 troops from Germany.

© 2024 AFP

Tags: EuropeMilitary AidNATO
Share41Tweet26Share7Send
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
2 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Follow us

Recent News

Judge curbs ICE arrests at notorious US immigration court

May 19, 2026

The Apprentice? Vance sticks to business at White House podium

May 19, 2026

From graduation boos to voter unease: AI anxiety grows in the US

May 19, 2026
MagnifyPost.com

We bring you the top international news & headlines from around the world with live updates on breaking global events.

News

  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Science & Technology

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • SportBeep.com
  • EconomyLens.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com

© 2024 Top World News ~ MagnifyPost.com

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • General News
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Science & Technology

© 2023 - Premium news by MagnifyPost.

Coolinarco.com CasualSelf.com

wpDiscuz